Monday, April 4, 2016

A Tale of Three Page Markers

For quite some time I have used two pages markers, one for my monthly spread…


…and one for my daily spread.


I can see where the current month and day are, whether from the top or bottom of my planner.



This has worked well.  I am easily able to find my monthly and/or daily pages with a flip of one marker or the other.

I recently bought more storage boxes from Franklin Covey for archiving purposes, and while shopping, I clicked on their page markers.  I have always been fascinated with their pager markers because they have a slip pocket for putting slips of paper in.  So I bought one of those as well and put it among my daily pages.



I immediately moved in to that slip pocket.


Here I put a list of items that I need to work on sooner rather than later, things that can’t be forgotten behind a tab somewhere.  Having it here, I see the list every day—multiple times a day, really—and so I am constantly reminded of these things that need to be attended to.

I also like that the FC Compact page finder is shaped differently than the Filofax page markers, making it easy to find exactly what I’m looking for quickly: today.


However…I immediately realized my mistake.  The FC page marker doesn’t stick out at the bottom.


Now, one might think that this is good (one less thing sticking out from the bottom of the planner) or not a big deal.  But I almost always access both my monthly and daily spreads by the bottoms of those markers.


Upon opening my planner, I flip to my daily pages by using the bottom of the corresponding marker.

In addition, once in the daily view, I move to my monthly section by using the bottom of that marker.


It’s actually quite rare that I access either section by the top of the marker.  I figured, however, that I could retrain my brain.  I mean, how hard could it be, right?  It turns out, though, that it was much harder than I thought, and in the end, wasn’t worth the aggravation to me.  Plus, while using the FC marker in my daily spread, I realized that the holes on the FC marker are just slightly bigger than the holes on the Filofax marker.


So while the FC marker has the right configuration and fits just fine, it would (too easily in my experience and opinion) slip off of the rings.  That was a deal-breaker for me.

However, I didn’t want to give up on the FC marker altogether.  So I decided to put it in my To Do section, marking the pages I access most often (outside of my daily and monthly spreads) while keeping a small stack of sticky list sheets in the slip pocket.


This allows me to quickly access those two pages in my “To Do” section that I go to most. It is now super easy for me to find that section.


I can still quickly find my monthly and daily spreads, too.  And best of all, the FC marker doesn’t interfere with accessing my calendars from the bottom of the planner.


So while not quite the happy ending I was initially looking for, this tale ends in an even happier ending for me and my planner.

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a page marker with a place to put things. I was disappointed for you that it wasn't working out, but I agree that using it in your "to do" list section - where you didn't have a marker - is GREAT! It's wonderful when things work out even better than you *planned* for them too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, true! It may end up taking up more real estate than I can handle -- using the compact, I'm limited to begin with, so adding another thing that adds a little more thickness may end up being problematic, so we'll see. So far it's not been a issue, but who knows how it will play out. Stayed tuned...!

      Delete
    2. We shall see! I think it's so great, I'm going to hope it works out!!

      Delete
  2. Those FC ones are really great. When I downsized to a pocket Filofax Malden from my FC compact Polka-Dot, I (eeeep!) cut down the FC marker with the pocket to mark my A-Z reference section. That sticks out at the top while my FF marker which stays on my current went sticks out at the bottom. Even though I cut it down I can still slip papers in their as the static from the plastic holds them in place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That slip pocket is what makes the FC marker, in my opinion! Glad to hear it still works for you after trimming it down -- you are braver than I, lol. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the Franklin Covey pocket rulers. Although, I’m not a fan of rulers in my binder. When writing on a page before the ruler, the pen hits a “ledge” at ruler’s end. That causes a “bloop” in my writing. My handwriting is bad enough without those “bloops”.

    I’ve DIYed my own page dividers/ dashboards from clear acetate, but the plastic from clamshell packaging are more sturdy. The tops of salad boxes are great for this project. Then trimmed to the length of a Filofax ruler, I have top and bottom tabs. Plus, any "bloops" are totally mine.

    Nice to see Daisy back out to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I made the switch over right around Easter. :)

      I haven't had an issue with running into the side of ruler with my pen, though now I'm sure I'll be more conscious of it to double check. ;) Interesting -- I don't know why I never thought to make my own page markers. I should look into that!

      Delete
    2. Oops. Didn't mean to open Pandora's Box

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! It would have happened eventually. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is the only mention I've read about the FC page marker slipping out of the rings too easily -- a major frustration for me! I use it because I like the ability to insert a weekly list, but it really is almost a deal-breaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it could be (for me) because I use a compact VDS binder, which is 13 mm rings. However, the Filofax page marker has never slipped off, and as you can see from the picture, the FC holes are slightly bigger. It's possible that each is made slightly different, but yeah, it's a deal breaker for me, too.

      I ended up removing the whole thing because every time I turned to that section, out it came. So I'll hold on to it and find some other use for it. It just won't be in my main planner. (Boo!)

      Delete