Since last week, I have been pondering which inserts I’d rather use—the Filofax 2 pages per day or the DayRunner 2 pages per day. There are pros and cons to both:
- With the Filofax 2PPD, there is plenty of room to write my to-dos and appointments. DayRunner’s 2PPD lines are a little squishy, making me adjust my writing, which isn’t a huge deal but an annoyance to me. (1 point for Filofax)
- The layout of the Filofax 2PPD is clean and uncluttered. DayRunner 2PPD isn’t bad, but the ones I had to buy are of a garden theme, which is fine but not really me. If I stick with this layout, I’ll have to buy the un-themed version for 2012 (there weren’t any 2011 available). (no points added or detracted for either product since the un-themed DayRunner version cancels out the garden theme)
- I’ve been using Filofax 2PPD for a while, so I am used to their layout and have my own way of keeping track of my items, even if the layout isn’t ideal as compared to the DayRunner 2PPD. (1 point to DayRunner for having the more ideal layout)
- While the Filofax 2PPD Monday – Friday pages have one page for appointments and another page for to-dos and notes, Saturday and Sunday are just one page each, for appointments, whereas the DayRunner 2PPD has the same layout for every day of the week. This is a big plus for the DayRunner inserts. With the Filofax pages, I have to use a regular to-do page for my additional Saturday/Sunday information—not a huge problem, but an annoyance just the same. (1 point to DayRunner for keeping the layout for Saturday and Sunday)
- The DayRunner 2PPD has an entire blank page for whatever information I want to keep track of. Generally I would use this for my food diary, water intake and weather record keeping. But there’s enough room that I could add other information if I so desired. (1 point to DayRunner for additional space)
This week I will use only the DayRunner pages in order to give them the fair chance they deserve. I’m still wondering which I should use for the remainder of the year. I just can’t decide. My gut is telling me to stick with the Filofax inserts, but to be fair, I don’t know if that is because I really want to use them or if I just don’t like the idea of straying from the Filofax brand, mixing DayRunner with the rest of the Filofax inserts I have and use (2 points to Filofax for instilling such a strong sense of loyalty to the brand). It’s just my OCD talking. So by sticking with the DayRunner brand for the upcoming week, I’m hoping to decide which it is—if the issue really is the OCD and not the functionality of one brand over the other, I’m hoping that Laurie’s “calling the dog” method will enlighten me as to which version to use.
Many readers have offered their suggestions (see comments) as well and I have to say that my planner envy always has me taking other’s uses and suggestions into consideration and sometimes even leads me to try out new things.
Any other suggestions are welcome. I will be back next weekend to reveal the final (hopefully) decision.
Final tally: Filofax = 3 and DayRunner = 3. No surprise—it’s a draw…