Giant Planning


One of the things I love about the Google Calendar is that you can subscribe to various public calendars.  If you click on the link, you will see that one of the options is a sports calendar.  I’m not a huge sports fan, but one sport I do love is American football.  I don’t follow the sport in such a way that I can spew players’ names or any statistics.  I love it because not only is it a great game, but it says fall to me.  Growing up, it was always background noise to any autumn Sunday.  My father was a fan and so watched it every week.  I was never in to it then, but as I got older I started to actually watch the games and picked up on many of the rules and details.  After my father died, I started to really watch the games, specifically the New York Giants since that was his favorite team.  It is now my favorite team (to carry on his tradition) and I try to watch at least a part of every game.

So where does Google Calendar come in to play?  I have subscribed to the NY Giants calendar so that my Google Calendar now displays all of their games.


It blocks out the times when the game will take place (this is only an approximation since Google can’t predict any overtime or longer than normal game times).  But this helps me stay on track with when the team plays and against whom.  This year I have decided to add these games to my planner.


Since I really only use my Google Calendar for on-the-go planning (and to share with my husband so that he is aware—not the he remembers—my schedule), I have decided that adding the games to my planner will help me to remember when the games will be played.

I also have a reminder to add the score to my game notation.


If the game is played in the afternoon, I will most likely see the entire game, or at least come and go from the room.  Either way, I will know what the end score is.  However, I won’t always remember to add the score to my game notation, so this little reminder is helpful.  If a game is a night game, it’s unlikely that I will see the entire game.  My bedtime is around 10 pm and many games go beyond that.  In those cases, I will add the score reminder to the next day.  I can then go back to the Google Calendar and check out the score since they add that after the game is finished (actually, they constantly update it, so if you check it mid-game, you will see what the current score is).


Whether I check the score on the Google Calendar or if I know it from watching the game, I will then add the score to my schedule.


If it’s a win for the Giants, it gets highlighted.  If not, no highlighting.

I’m pretty excited about this little fall edition to my planner.  It doesn’t mean anything for my schedule in particular, but it’s just a little something that makes me and my planner happy!

Comments

  1. Mind officially blown! I use the Scoremobile phone app, where you can pick your favorite teams and have different types of notifications sent to your phone (each scoring play, final score, etc) but I've never heard of the Google public calendars! I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've never heard of this app! I will have to check that out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Google does rock for that feature. Hope I can add MLB playoffs to it. Go Cardinals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not, especially if they who is playing when at this point. (I don't follow baseball, so I don't know how the playoff works in terms of scheduling.)

      Delete

Post a Comment