A Moment of Solace: My Filofax Week: March 11 – 17, 2013


Another week where not much happened.  I’m still getting over being sick. 


Monday night saw me canceling yet more plans due to not feeling well.  Ugh.  I am feeling better, but I wouldn’t say I’m back to my old self.  I honestly think I’m having some sort of allergic reaction to something in the air.  And since my last allergy test was less than three years ago (they don’t like to retest for three to five years), the doctor is a little reluctant to do another at this point.  But I may have to demand it.  Currently I’m on an antibiotic (a new one, after having a reaction to the originally one prescribed), so I’ll wait until I’m finished with it and see where I’m at before going that route.

I have been feeling a little down because of not feeling well.  Anxiety has been trying to creep in, and as much as I’ve been able to keep it at bay, I fear that one of these days it will overtake me.  I don’t want to go down that road again, but sometimes it happens before I know it.  And then I have to dig myself out of the anxiety hole.  But every time I feel the anxious feelings, there’s one place I always turn to.


Although I am not Catholic, there is a Catholic church near my home where I can always find solace.  It’s a big place (for a church) that offers mini walking trails and beautiful views.  So when I’m in need of connecting with something bigger than myself, I head straight there.  I go to the area located on a hill, where I can get a spectacular view across the fields and highways, out across the bay and to the ocean beyond.  Then, I turn around, sit on a bench and contemplate a large statue that’s there.  This place is so quiet and peaceful, one of the few places left on Long Island where you can actually be alone.

I visited this place on Thursday.  I was in desperate need to connect again and put things into perspective.  It was only a few minutes of my week (the cold and wind didn’t provide a comfortable atmosphere for sitting for long) but it helped, if only a little.  I’m sure I’ll be going back in the very near future.

Today (Sunday), as usual, I’m playing catch-up with getting done all of those things that I didn’t get to during the week. 


This includes getting to my weekly post since I didn’t have time to do it during the week (as been happening a lot lately).  I have so many blogging topics I want to cover, but since I’m still finding that I can really only devote time to one post per week, I have to decide if it’s worth continuing with the “My Week” posts.  I am finding that I can only get to those posts, which is fine, but that means I keep neglecting my other topics, and honestly, I think most people would rather read about those.  And even more honestly, I’d rather write about those.  So I’m thinking that I’ll do a “My Week” post only once in a while, or make it a monthly feature where I highlight the best days of the month instead of highlighting the same work-related things each week.  Hmm, the things to weigh.  I’ll see how the next couple of weeks go before deciding I guess.

I’ll let you know what I decide…

Comments

  1. I hope you start feeling better soon! (all the way better, not just a bit). And I hear you about the anxiety thing- he has been lurking around me for a while now too. I've just started running again, so I'm hoping that helps- it was my solace and provided wonderful moments to think when I was really into it last year.

    Stay strong- we will all make it through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J! I would love to start running again, but my knees don't like it. I have been working on some strengthening exercises, so maybe in the future. I have been doing other things, but being sick doesn't help. Plus the weather has been awful. I can't wait for spring to get outdoors and feel like I'm a part of the world again. Good luck with your run!

      Delete
  2. Churches can be such lovely peaceful places to just sit and empty your mind. When I was younger I often used to sit on one of the graves (it had a big stone box thing) under a yew tree and just think or relax. It was a really old grave and I used to feel so peaceful their, as if there were no problems at all. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always loved to go the to cemetery with her grandfather (he made gravestones). She said it was one of the most peaceful places to be. When I visit my fathers grave, it's always peaceful there too. Church's do offer a sense of calm for me, especially old churches, where you can just feel the history and tradition.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment